Monday, March 30, 2009

No one going to India or Pakistan

I recently heard this most interesting racial incident from my friend (South Indian). He works for a company based out of Green Bay WI, as a software consultant. The other day he went for pee-pee. He was almost done and was waiting for the last drops to fall off from his wee-wee. His Pakistani colleague walked in for pee-pee and looking at my friend quipped that "I am going to India". My friend was little confused and thought that this Pakistani is indeed going to India for business trip or something. He innocently asked the other guy when he was going to India. Pakistani guy replied pointing at his act of pee-pee-ing that "Now ..". That was outrageous. Wasn't it? Later that Pakistani guy explained my friend that he got similar comments from lots of his India friends and he didn't meant to offend Indians. Well it is certainly border line racial comment, in fact way cross the border line for me. But based on current situation in our countries, my fellow Pakistani and Indian friends, no one would like to go to India or Pakistan.

And also I stumbled upon this racial slur database. Better to know these slurs when we are living in cosmopolitan city as Chicago. I mean, so that we don't use it even accidentally.

No comments: